Ants are common household pests that are difficult to eliminate once they have established a colony in your home. Effective ant control includes treating your home and performing long-term preventative measures to keep ants away for good.
Ants need food, water, and a place to live to survive, so these measures make your home inhospitable to ants:
- Keep a Clean Home. Ants want food and water sources in your home. You can make your home less attractive to ants by wiping down counters and floors, storing food in sealed containers, and promptly cleaning up spills or crumbs.
- Close Entry Points. Ants enter your home through small cracks and gaps in doors, windows, and walls. Because ants can squeeze in the teeniest, tiniest cracks, it’s best to hire a professional to find every potential entry source and close it up. At The Dead Pest Society, we have a staff with over 30 years of combined ant control experience.
- Seal Your Trash. Trash cans attract ants, so ant control includes keeping your trash cans sealed and emptied as much as possible. Also, rinse out food containers before placing them in the trash.
- Keep Your Yard Neat. Trees and shrubs that touch your home act as a bridge for ants to enter your home. Trim shrubs to eliminate moist areas in the shade where ants love to nest. Keep mulch at least 6 inches away from your home’s exterior to create an area next to your home that ants won’t like. Mow your lawn regularly and remove leaf piles and fallen fruit from trees.
- Hire a Professional Pest Control Service. These preventative ant control measures work best alongside professional pest control treatments that eliminate the colony. We offer quarterly pest services to help you maintain an ant-free home.
If tiny ants are a big problem for your Winston-Salem, North Carolina property, contact us to discuss your situation.